Saturday, July 5, 2008

Week 4, Thing 8

My Experience With RSS:
I have always wondered what the RSS symbol was on a website I frequently visited to see whether if items were updated here and there throughout the day. After watching that blip video, I realized how much time I have been wasting! I had setup the google reader and added www.passwird.com to the subscriptions. This site has an update of good deals on the net on all types of things! I discovered ADN.com and my other favorite site, allrecipes.com also had RSS feeds! The only thing is, is that passwird.com is the only one I visit more than once a day (besides facebook and craigslist) so I am not sure how great having those two in my reader...allrecipes.com, I am always looking for a specific recipe and not just ones on healthy recipes, desserts, entertainment recipes, etc. I did google a site on scrapbooking and added that to my RSS feed reader as well.

I also see it a bit overwhelming in my google reader....it reminds me of a zillion emails in my inbox, as if I am being spammed with junk email! When I see such a huge list, I don't even feel like reading them.

However, I think it would be great for parents if I can just update my blog and parents subscribe to it, better than using the old Sitebuilder program the district currently uses. With my blog, I can update anywhere and not have to deal with having a "district connection." I just like the idea that parents will know when I updated the blog and that I do not have to email everyone individually (or BCC the group) and let them know updates.

If only all parents had email and checked it on a regular basis....

1 comments:

  1. RSS feeds can be a great time saver but the trick is to figure out over time how many you can handle and then what the most important ones are for your use.

    Joyce Valenza and Doug Johnson have some great advice in an article they wrote for School Library Journal where they suggest you practice a "one in, one out" approach. You can only add one if you take an older one out. So, expect to take a little time finding the right balance for you.

    ReplyDelete

 
Mrs. McConnell's Class Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template