Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Chapter 7: Online Safety and Security

Chapter 7 discuss issues on online safety and security. There is a new law in effect that block students from access to certain sites. I have mixed feelings on the issue. I think it is important for teachers to teacher students online safety but to do it by preventing access?? In a way, I can see that as a way that would encourage some students to break into restriction and try to access the information. It can be compared to how parents would tell their child not to do something but instead, the child will do it inspite of the parent. But I also can see its use in teaching young students who cannot make that decision or as a way for a school to not be held responsible for the student access innappropriate material.

It also mentioned now Facebook and Myspace is not for kids - I agree with this statement. My page is soley to keep in touch with people I KNOW...I don't add random people or make new friends on the web...it's too creepy for me! With these social networks, a lot of thought needs to go into the security of oneself. Myspace seems more like an ad where youngsters post certain pictures to "sell" themselves, and what I mean by that is to promote themselves in "coolness" and so forth. I know they understand that people are going to be viewing their site but they don't understand the dangers of predators who are looking at their site. This reminds me of those dateline episodes about the predators on the internet and how easily it is for encounters to occur. I do think it is great for myspace to put out safety tips on online safety and security. I see plenty of warnings about be careful about people phishing for your information. I know a couple of people who had their pages hacked and then it would post random messages to people and it would spread so quickly! Clicking on the wrong link could possibly do damage to your computer.

One thing I'd like to become better at is copyright issues. I hear about people getting sued downloading or using music which makes me nervous since I love putting music to photo slideshows I create at school (ie, a collaberation of Kindergarten photos at the end of the year).

As the text stated, it is important for schools and parents to be on the same page with policies concering the use of the internet. Some sites or programs they are allowed to use at home may not be appropriate for school. It would be nice to have a common ground on what things are appropriate.

I found it very neat that a school has an internal IM system! I am curious if our district blocks flikr...I know it blocks youtube but teachertube works! I showed my kids last year that video that primary kids work one about technology using the Gwen Steffani song, "Bananas"....it was quite cute!

1 comments:

  1. One of my primary goals is to become more knowledgeable about copyright as well. There are many great tutorials available on the web. Some fun ones for students as well as for teachers. Try http://www.stfrancis.edu/cid/copyrightbay/index.htm for example.

    And maybe try GarageBand and make your own music to go with the videos.

    ReplyDelete

 
Mrs. McConnell's Class Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template