Sunday, July 13, 2008

Week 5, Thing 11

Sites I've Visited:

Craigslist - I check the free section every day!! When I was looking for a place to rent a few years ago, this was the site I used! I also found my loving beage, Buddy, on Craigslist in the pet section.

Del.icio.us - heard about this during the ASTE Conference. I need to create one for myself for my students and parents to use! I think this is amazing for education!


Yelp - I just signed up a week or so ago because of a horrible experience eating at City Diner. I was only going to email the chef, but when visiting their website, there was no contact email so I decided to join the site and write a review of my experience.

Google Maps - I either use this or mapquest when printing off maps.

Google Earth - It's facinating to students, especially when it is projected on a Smartboard!!

Flickr - I first heard of it through this Web 2.0

Etsy - My good friend is selling these hand sewn journal books on this site...to me this site is evil...evil because I want to buy so many things off of it! I love going to craft fairs and going on art walks...this is a dangerous site for me!!

Kayak - I have used this as one of my sites to look for cheap flights! I believe it gave me at least 2 good deals on flights that I have purchased in the past.

YouTube - Unfortunately, I'm on it! I am doing a Chinese Dance during an Asian Culture Night back in the day...my uncle decided to share it with the world!

Donors Choose - I over heard another teacher using this site to raise money for a particular item for her classroom! This might be a way to get a smartboard in my classroom!

Zillow - When my friend was looking to buy a home, I used this site to compare prices...However, I didn't find the mapping of homes too accurate, at least not in Anchorage. I couldn't even find my own house which was built in 2004. I looked even closer on the map and where my house is now, there is a bunch of trees where my house should be!

Facebook - I check this everyday! It's a fun way to share photos with one another or send a message. I used facebook to arrange events such as my scrapbooking night!

HairMixer - Used it the first time ever...it was either that I couldn't find a good enough picture or the site doesn't mesh my photo well....I couldn't really "fit" my face into the hair styles nicely.

PeerTrainer - Since I am getting back on track on my fitness routine (teaching really bogged me down at the end of the year - missed the gym A LOT!), I thought I'd check out the site. I have been working out with another teacher friend, encouraging one another to go to the gym. I am sort of her "trainer" and feel obligated to go to the gym and do the exercises with her, not just come up with a routine! I am not liking the gym I currently go to so she has been quite the motivator. I subscribe to SELF magazine and they have a place for subscribers to log their workouts...I logged twice. Facebook had a workout application, I logged for about a week and quit. I felt like I was logging it twice - once in pen and paper, and then again on the internet. I am a little hesitant in joining this site for the same reason.

Google Doc - Man, I wish I had this in college! This would have been so nice to upload my documents instead of the server.

BackPackIt - I was super excited about this at first until I realized it costs money after 30 days.

Ning - I am part of the ASTE Ning. It was a neat way to share our responses about the different workshops and seminars different participants attended at the conference. It also gave us ways to share out thoughts and opinions about the new technology out there and what we found to be "the best" tools in education.

Travel IQ: 78..........pretty bad........

3 comments:

  1. Wow, what a list. Fun to see familiar names and also the new places I can only hope to find time to check out. Sure appreciate your brief comments. I hope others will get a chance to read this.

    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your long list - I'm going to have to check some out. Sometimes its hard finding good sites on your own. I guess for some reason I thought that Facebook was just for college students - my kids have an account. Maybe they just led me to believe that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I already wrote a comment but for some reason it's not showing up so I'll try again. Don't be surprised if you get two from me.
    I loved your list and I'm surprised at how many I already use such as Kayak and Craigslist. I'm going to try some of the others like Peer Trainer, Etsy, and Hairmixer. I thought that Facebook was just for college students or so my college aged kids told me! I might have to try that out since I've heard so much about it.

    ReplyDelete

 
Mrs. McConnell's Class Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template