Monday, July 21, 2008

Week 7, Thing 17 - EDITED

Sandbox Wiki

I like having the option of editing a site. When I added an entry under photos and images, I noticed how there were two voicethread comments that were seperated by other texts so then I cut and pasted it to be right after another. I like things organized on websites! I also cut out extra space between paragraphs and put a headline here and there above other people's comments. This all stems from my journalism editing background! :-P

I think wikis might be fun way to track my family history and work on it with my relatives. We could all contribute and also add family stories on the site as well. This sounds like a great project to take on next summer (new school year is approaching, no time!)! We can also share family photos and keep in touch with one another, know family news, updates, etc.

OTHERS I ADDED (again, I am anal and have to organize the page by placing all the comments about one topic together, LOL!):

Downloadable Audio
Downloadable audio books are great for multitaskers like myself who cannot sit and read a long book unless they are in a restricted environment (like an airplane). I enjoy listening to books on tape/cd from the library, but this is even more convienent, just download the book online! I can listen to a story while cleaning the house. I can also see how this would benefit students who have a difficult time reading. They can use the audio and follow along in their novel and make a connection between the written word and the audio sound. Mandy Y. 2008

Blogs

Last year I used my classroom blog to display my students Voicethread projects since SiteBuilder is so old and a hassle to use. I do not need a district connection to edit or post items which is really nice. I will be using my classroom blog this year to keep parents up-to-date about what is going on in the classroom. I would like my students to take pictures in our class and post it on our blog for parents to see. Mandy Y. 2008

Links
eHub
"She writes about web and user experience design, technology, and next generation web" like Web 2.0. At her site, she makes posts about new tools that you can use, ie., Kwik Surveys, if you want to create free and easy surveys. I found this listed on her site - a TO DO LIST at http://www.nowdothis.com/ Check it out. You have to list the items in order of what you want done first. Emily Chang's tags her blogs so they are categorized. Under Education and then Kids, I came across something useful for parents, zefty.com. Emily says Zefty is "a money expense tracker that allows you to track and manage your child's allowance & spending online. Your kids can easily learn about money management while parents gain quality time with their kids." AND IT'S FREE!! Mandy Y. 2008

Photos
Photo Editing
Gimp.org is used for photo retouching, image composition and image authoring. It can also be used as a simple paint program. Some of the options it has is: photo enhancing, digital retouching, you can save your image in different formats. I think it is almost like Photoshop but easier!

Online Application & Tools

http://dotlrn.org
".LRN is a global community of educators, designers, and software developers who partner together to drive educational innovation." It offers these tools:
Assessment Forums
E-Mail/Bulk mail LORS Central (Learning Object Repository)
Calendar LORS Management
Curriculum News
.LRN Photo Album
.LRN Ecommerce Project Manager
Homework Dropbox Staff List
Edit this page Survey
Gradebook/Evaluation Syllabus
Expenses Tracking User Tracking
FAQs Weblogger
File Storage Slide presentations
There are no license fees for using the software!
Mandy Y. 2008

1 comments:

  1. I too like the editing feature of blogs. My goal is always perfection but I find it easier to get information posted regularly if I know I can continue to improve its presentation.

    ReplyDelete

 
Mrs. McConnell's Class Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template